Sunday 10 June 2012

same ol' poop, different pile...

I've decided to take on yet another craft... diaper sewing. Yes, I know I can barely get through the crafts I have on the go already but I am determined to make cloth diapers. I have the fabric, the snaps, the elastic, the patterns, I'm just waiting for my new even feed walking foot to arrive in the mail so I can start my cute little dipes. I started with a wet bag but the feeding dogs in my machine ate the material like it was nothing! Besides, I needed to get the walking foot for quilting, yet another craft I will be taking up soon, but that's for another post.

We've been using cloth diapers since our oldest, Shepherd was about 18 months old. We were shocked at how much money we were literally throwing away and decided to look into the cloth option. We're not overly environmentally conscious, just more health conscious and we learned that disposable diapers are full of harmful chemicals! I always hated when the diapers would shed little jelly pieces on our little guy's bum. He was also very prone to rashes and burns that we later realized were from using disposable diapers and he had fewer to no diaper rashes since switching to cloth. Our second, Liam has been in cloth since he was 1 month old and only had rashes in disposable diapers. He did have a few rashes when we tried switching to cloth wipes but for some reason he does much better with disposable wipes. I really would like to switch to cloth wipes, again since the wipes are full of chemicals but we can always choose natural disposable wipes.

Anyway, cloth diapers can get pretty pricey and although I have found a great Canadian store based in Vancouver, I have recently found a site to buy fabric specifically for making your own cloth diapers. It's not Canadian but the prices are great! As soon as I get that walking foot, and assuming my kids are well behaved, I will be posting pictures soon of cute little handmade cloth diapers.

4 comments:

  1. Laura, once you get this figured out please let me know how you did it! I've been trying to replace the velcro tabs on my BumGenius and I'm having no end of problems. We'll have to get together sometime and work this out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wipes have no chemicals and are biodegradable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, do you have snap pliers? You need the pliers to do it. I'm still perfecting my skill with the pliers, the ones I did on a bunch of diapers that had no hip snaps need to be pressed harder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are no snaps involved, thank goodness! My problem is that when I get the new tabs onto the PUL tab, the whole thing is so thick that I can barely fit it under the presser foot. After we get back from WA I'm going to try it again and see if I can figure something out.

    ReplyDelete